Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

On 2010-02-15, Michael Koblic wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

[ ... ]

The right way is probably to buy the largest rotary table that fits on
your mill. The disadvantage compared to a gap-bed lathe is that you
can't detail the edges as much, you'll be limited to end mill profiles
like vee grooves and corner rounders.

I am certainly considering it as a viable option. Realistically I cannot get
anything bigger than 6" rotary table on my mill and even that is probably
pushing it. OTOH if one could do things that way it is a $1000 difference in
capital expenditure :-)

BTW can you put a motor drive on a rotary table so it turns at a constant
rate?

There is a stepper motor drive for the little Sherline rotary
table, which can be used with a controller/keypad:

http://www.sherline.com/8730pg.htm

http://www.sherline.com/8700inst.htm

With a CNC milling machine, you could even use it for engraving
the time markings on your dials.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564