Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What final grit of sandpaper for paint-grade projects?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 03:06:05 -0500, blueman wrote:

This is probably a really basic question.
But is there any general rule of what the final grade of sandpaper
should be for a project that you plan to prime and paint?

I have always sanded up to 220 but wonder whether that might actually be
"too fine" for paint to stick optimally.

Maybe it's true, I read an article about too much sanding. 220 grit
sounds right. I lightly sand the primer, dust off, then ready for a
smooth finish. Sand again between coats using 320 grit.