Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Some serious DIY modelling!

Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:33:19 +0000 The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Plenty of similar to be seen at any model airshow though. Just
takes a
deep pocket. And a lot of time.

Are the engines scaled-down RB211s or what? What fuel do they burn?

You can buy very small jet engines these days.
Same technology as cruise missiles.

I have yet to see a stealth fighter model (not that i have looked
much), they can only fly by wire as they are unstable.
It used to be quite common for models to not be quite the same as
the real thing in order to make them flyable.

If the original was fly by wire, then the centre of lift and centre
of gravity would have to be within a very short distance of each other.
That is the only way you could fly it without quadruplex computer
systems and a back up computer to get you home.

center of lift is ALWAYS on the center of gravity, by definition.

No it isn't. I have, on and off spent the last 30 years working on
turning stable centre of lift aircraft into fly by wire that were unstable.

Starting with a Jaguar that was made slightly unstable by changing the
aerodynamics. Computers were added to compensate for flight for the pilot.

Followed by the EAP (Experimental Aircraft Project). This had canards at
the front. This resulted in the development of the eurofighter Typhone.

Shame you didnt do a basic physics course first.

The function of fly by wire is to make sure that the CG IS at the centre
of lift, at all times..moving the elevators changes the center of lift
dramatically ;-)

isn't the correct way to say it.

Dave