Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Would adding a 5 or 10 gallon portable tank to my compressor be helpful?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 03:52:11 -0500, blueman wrote:

I have a $99 (on-sale) Harbor Freight 10 gallon compressor that I have
been really satisfied with for my home-hobbyist use -- it has more than
paid for itself many times over.

I was wondering though whether I could effectively increase its capacity
(at least for short intervals) by attaching one or more 5 or 10 gallon
portable tanks to it.
Would this give it the *effective* capacity of a larger tank allowing me
to have a longer burst capacity? (though filling the combined tanks
would obviously take longer)

Any issues with doing so?

If your compressor have a 10 gallon tank, you could fill a 100 gallon
tank to the same pressure and have a larger capacity. "Burst
capacity" can be increased by using a shorter/fatter hose. I have a
30-gallon tank w/ 5HP, and so far (20 years) it has done a good job
for all my needs. The 5-gallon portable tanks are great for filling
tires, basketballs, etc. but rather limited for a nailer gun.