Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auto Battery Connection Repair?

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:12:12 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
typed:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 23:28:17 -0500, Tony
wrote:

Twayne wrote:
Hi,

A "friend" managed to strip the bolt-hole for the positive cable
connection. Now it'll no longer tighten sufficiently to allow a
firm/reliable connection.

Is there any reasonable and permanent way to fix/correct this?

I"ve tried putting some galv. steel wire into the thread area but
it either does no good or makes it too hard to seat the bolt far
enough to create surface to surface pressure of the cable to the
battery. Using solder instead I seem to have created a
sufficiently tight connection to maintain the connection; for now,
anyway. Since solder has no "memory" it's sooner or later going to
let the connection loosen again; probably sooner in our changeable
weather.

Anyone have a better fix? The battery is almost new or I'd just buy
another one but it costs an arm and a leg.

Easy. Just use a self tapping bolt the next size larger.

Just had another idea. The original battery bolt is only a short
little thing. Try threading a standard bolt into the hole. If that
works, just get a stud to fit in (satainless steel is best) and a
brass nut to fit to fasten the cable with.. Might need a tubular
spacer to fit between the cable end and the nut - like a real thick
washer - so the nut does not jam in the cable end.

Hmm, that gets my vote for best response so far! You're right, it is a short
bolt, and the battery has a bolt depth almost twice the length of the
threaded bolt! And, I even have the bolts handy: they're what I used to
connect to the batteries outside the car for charging, topping off, etc..

If I can figure how to get the old bolt out of the cable end (it's captive
somehow), I'll be all set. If this works, prepare for a rewardg!

HTH,

Twayne

Hey, I've been a mechanic since I was just a kid - and that's a LONG
time ago!!!