Earl Creel

Default lining up drawer supports in cabinet carcass

The approach I use is to follow this sequence in the construction of a
cabinet of any kind that contains a drawer:
1. Build the carcass.
2. Build and attach the face frame:
3. Build or buy the drawer slides/supports
4. Build the drawer(s) to fit the openings in the face frame. The size of
the drawer must be reduced to include space for the slides if they are side
mounted.
5. Temporarily attach the slides into position (clamps usually will work)
then insert the drawer and adjust the position of the slides so that drawer
is centered in opening and the drawer front touches the face frame on all
four sides when closed. Slide the drawer in and out to be sure you have
smooth sliding action without excessive looseness. When satisfied with fit
permanently anchor the slides/drawer supports.
Earl Creel

"Todd Seidenberg" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am building a changing table for the child my wife and I are
expecting. I've decided to build it with three large drawers on one
side, and a door and drawer on the other, taller side.

I've built the face frame, and I've cut all the pieces for the
carcass. I've also built lap jointed rectangluar drawer supports that
the drawers will rest on.

So the question is, how do I line up the drawer suppoorts from front
to back, so that they are level, and square? Is there some trick to
it? How do I ensure that the cleats that attach to the carcass to hold
the supports are in the correct position?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd