Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default "Oland", "Schmoland" One "Inserted Bit" tool is as good as another.

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:00:39 -0600, Kevin Miller wrote
(in message ications):

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:38:01 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

So the other question is, when my gouges are finally worn to a nub,
what's the best way to get the old tool out of the handle?

...Kevin

I put mine in the vise and twist them back & forth.. usually break free
fairly
easily.. If not, I use one of those small oil filter type wrenches with the
rubber strap..

Ever heat the shaft of the old tool? Wondering if any are epoxied in,
and if that would soften the grip...

I have had occasion to soften epoxy joints, and yes, heat works. Epoxy is a
polymer - a type of plastic, albeit a very strong one.
In the case of a tool bit epoxied into a handle, it might be possible to heat
the tool bit with a propane torch - carefully. Testing periodically to see if
the epoxy has softened up enough to loosen its grip on the steel. The steel
will conduct heat sufficiently, I think, that the wood will not get charred.
Wood will char around 450 degrees F. The epoxy should let loose at a
temperature much lower than that. I know there are high-temp epoxies, but it
is likely the case that an ordinary variety of epoxy would be used for
securing a chisel or gouge bit in a handle.

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.