Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_2_] JimK[_2_] is offline

Default building regs

On Feb 13, 11:25 am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , andrew
writes
So what happens about building regs for electrics, flues, structure,
windows , footings etc on a house such as this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/8487326.stm

I expect they followed the regs. Footings will be 900mm cube under each
upright. Light might be an issue but who knows how many windows are on
the other side.

The barn looks like a standard BS 5502 agricultural building but with
insulated composite walls and roof. I have just fitted some of those
roof lights and found they had to insert an additional internal membrane
to meet he regs. Cuts down the light transmitted rather a lot.

I really must stop calling the present barn re-build the *bungalow*.

In defence of the 4 year rule.... I suppose, if nobody found a reason to
object to the actual use, then it meets the criteria for a greenbelt
development. Chap in Wales, who built a *castle* behind some straw
bales, is being made to demolish!

regards

yes, there are two completely separate issues. One is planning, and the
other is building regulations. To be in defiance of planning, can
involve complete removal of the structure. To be in defiance of building
regs, merely requires that it be made to conform.

socan he put windows etc in it now and *convert* it into a £1.5million
house? or knock it down and build a better one? if so genius!
(NB BBC article: can a windowless house be worth 500,000 to anybody
else? or is the plot now worth that alone?)

Cheers
JimK