Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default This will Blow your mind!

On 2/12/2010 4:18 PM, Mark Rand wrote:

Layout of test leads WRT solenoid and resistor when making measurement?

It doesn't matter.

I did a little experiment. The wire around the transformer is
most of a one turn loop within the core's magnetic field, as I
mentioned earlier. This sports only one tap instead of two.
The scope is set to trigger on positive transitions of Channel 2.

/---------------------\
| |
| |
| |
/-----o------\ |
| | |
| | | /--------------------\
| | | | /----------------\ |
| | | | | | |
AC Hot | | | | | 2 Ch Scope | |
------------------. ,--------------\ | | | | |
| )|( | | | | \----------------/ |
AC Ret | )|( | | \--------o /---o |
------------------' '---------\ | | | |
| | | | | o | o |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| CW | | | | | |
| ___ | | \ -----------------/ |
\----|___|---/ | | |
A | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
\---------o-------------------o-------/

Here is what I observed.

With the pot fully clockwise, I got a 60 Hz sinewave on
channel 1 which was in phase with the sinewave I saw
on channel 2.

As I rotated the slider, the voltage on channel 1 decreased
until at dead center, the voltage on channel 1 flatlined.

Rotating CCW (anticlockwise), the sinewave reappeared on channel 1
but at 180 degrees phase relationship to channel 2.

Continuing to fully CCW, the voltage on channel 1
increased to it's maximum, still exactly out of phase with
the reference waveform on channel 2.

I think this explains why I wasn't able to reproduce the
results predicted in Doc Lewin's theory.

Turns out the power in the left half of the winding will
appear to exactly phase - cancel the power in the right half
of the winding if R1 and R2 are equal. The power present
across this combination can flip phase *in relation to the
incoming waveform*. Our point of reference was the center
point of the resistors, so we could not see the phase reversal.
We would have just seen decreasing amplitude as resistor
values approached each other and increasing amplitude as a
function of the ratio of the resistance values.

No magic required. No D.C. of different, opposite voltage
produced between ground and taps on the top of the sense
winding. No significant offsets produced by inductive coupling
into the test leads are necessary to explain the earlier
test results.

The original claim is bogus.

--Winston