Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Dealing with saw dust while hand sanding

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I recently completed a cherry headboard for a queen bed. After listening to
Bill Bush at a local woodworking show, I have become a fan of hand sanding
rather than using a random orbital sander with dust removal. The headboard
came out great but the sawdust was a real mess. The headboard was too big
for any downdraft table. All I could do was wear a good mask and then clean
up the very fine dust which had drifted all over the place. Is there some
way I could have used my Jet dust collector to help out? I have read very
mixed reviews of the dust collectors that hang from the ceiling.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I simply lay a 4" hose in close proximity to the area being sanded and
occasionally pick it up to clean swarf off the board and paper. One point
Bill makes in his hand sanding presentation is to keep the paper clean with
a brush. I do that and brush the dust towards the end of the hose. This
works well enough for occasional use but if I were doing this every day a
big down draft table set up would be more convenient.

John