Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Fast CNC

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

What is the big key to the speed of this machine?

Looks like they are cutting about 1/4 plate at a really aggressive
rate.
Obviously ramping and spray lubricant help, but that is not all it
takes
cut that aggressively or is this also a super high speed spindle?

My experience so far has been that if I try to take off more than
about
.003
by .250 per pass I can run about 20 IPM with aluminum with lubricant.
This
looks like they are taking about .250 by .1875 in a single pass after
ramping in at something like 60 IPM.

Excuse my numbers if they are off since I can only judge this process
by
what is shown on the video and guess at the dimensions.

Definitely a high speed spindle with a fair amount of HP, high pressure
coolant to clear chips, and most importantly rigidity.

I was thinking spindle speed had to be the key. Everything else you can
see. How fast do you think they are spinning to be able to do that?

Guessing based on sound at least 10k, perhaps 15k. Has to spin fast to
keep the chip load per tooth low at those feeds.

I turn 10K with my machine and there is no way I could get a fraction of
that speed or chip removal.