Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_5_] Dick Snyder[_5_] is offline

Default Dealing with saw dust while hand sanding

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
I recently completed a cherry headboard for a queen bed. After listening
to Bill Bush at a local woodworking show, I have become a fan of hand
sanding rather than using a random orbital sander with dust removal. The
headboard came out great but the sawdust was a real mess. The headboard
was too big for any downdraft table. All I could do was wear a good mask
and then clean up the very fine dust which had drifted all over the
place. Is there some way I could have used my Jet dust collector to help
out? I have read very mixed reviews of the dust collectors that hang from
the ceiling.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dick

Place a 20" box fan with a 20"x20" pleated furnace filter duct taped on
the inlet side near your sanding. Won't get all the dust, but you'll find
a lot of dust on the filter after a sanding session. You can shop-vac the
filter to clean.

Huh. That sounds like a pretty simple solution. Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Dick