Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fast CNC

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

What is the big key to the speed of this machine?

Looks like they are cutting about 1/4 plate at a really aggressive rate.
Obviously ramping and spray lubricant help, but that is not all it takes
cut that aggressively or is this also a super high speed spindle?

My experience so far has been that if I try to take off more than about
.003
by .250 per pass I can run about 20 IPM with aluminum with lubricant.
This
looks like they are taking about .250 by .1875 in a single pass after
ramping in at something like 60 IPM.

Excuse my numbers if they are off since I can only judge this process by
what is shown on the video and guess at the dimensions.

Definitely a high speed spindle with a fair amount of HP, high pressure
coolant to clear chips, and most importantly rigidity.

I was thinking spindle speed had to be the key. Everything else you can
see. How fast do you think they are spinning to be able to do that?