Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

On Feb 12, 2:31*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
This is kind of my point: There are 297 adapters listed in that section.
Which one do you pick for this machine?
--
Michael Koblic,

All you need is a chunk of steel or iron the right size. I've made
adapters out of scrap hydraulic cylinder rod, a cast-iron pipe coupler
and a locating pin from an old Segway fender mold.

Barbell weights are the right shape, though the iron may be difficult
to cut. A few days of cooking inside the wood stove might soften then
up enough, it works well with flame-cut hot rolled steel.

Fitting an adapter to the spindle is easier if the adapter is on a
mandrel between centers so you can check the fit and replace the
adapter exactly concentric, to remove another half thousandths all the
way around. You could bolt it to the flange to cut it almost to size
quickly.

5" is a reasonable size for the chuck on a 10" lathe. You don't want
it to hit the carriage. I have a 5" 3 jaw and a 6" 4 jaw and have to
be very careful with the larger one, or set a stop.

jsw