Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

"DT" wrote in message
In article , says...
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??).
This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly G0602 which
understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

If it is the same as many of the 3-in-1 machines, it is a standard metric
100mm nosepiece that fits into a recess in the back of the chuck. 4 bolts
pass through the flange and are threaded into the chuck.

Thanks. This gave me a point of reference. I went and had a look at the
Grizzly web site. Their G9729 has (presumably??) the same spindle. I read
the manual (their manuals are far superior to anything out of Busy Bee). It
seems this flange will not take any chuck bigger than 6". And there were
other caveats.

The more I read the less I like it...

--
Michael Koblic,