Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

snip

You can make a better adapter plate than you can buy because you can
fit it as carefully as you want to the exact sizes of the spindle
flange and chuck back recess.

If you measured the diameters of the spindle flanges on the production
line I suspect you'd see them increase continuously as the tool wore,
then jump back to the minimum when it was replaced. An adapter plate
to fit them would have to be at the large end of the tolerance in
order to fit all lathes, and a sloppy fit on most, while you can make
one exactly the right size for yours.

Ah, I was under the impression that they are all made oversize for the final
turning down on each particular machine. At least that is what the LMS
adapters are.

Look at lathe chucks in the MSC catalog and you'll see separate back
plates for the common mounting styles. You fit the plate to the
spindle, then shape it into a flange that fits snugly into the recess
on the back of the chuck.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...84923&PMT4NO=0

This is kind of my point: There are 297 adapters listed in that section.
Which one do you pick for this machine? Personally I would prefer to get one
that at least somewhat matches the spindle than have to make the whole thing
from scratch. With a known common type such as "10 inch 3-jaw with a A1-6
mount" I know what everyone is talking about. The one adapter you linked
would clearly not fit this machine. I looked at all 297 and could not decide
which one would.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC