Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Cry, Gunner, it is OK to cry now

On 2010-02-12, John wrote:

If that is cpm m4 tool steel, that is ideal for knife bladee or any
sharp edged cutting tools.

Only a small quantity if what I brought, is CPM M4, but yes, it looks
interesting, I believe that it is sintered instead of melted. (I have
some M2 as well, which is what HSS lathe bits are made of.

Yes, CPM is sintered powder metal -- the best type of HSS (Crucible Powder
Metallurgy). M4 is a higher-performance cutting tool steel compared to M2,
with better wear resistance, but I didn't know that M4 was available in a
basic CPM grade. Could it be M4HC? What are the shapes?

--
Ed Huntress

I was reading about tool steels, looks like S-7 is the fanciest alloy
that could be made into swords.

Though I brought some D2 flats that could me made into swords, I am
reluctant to make swords, because I kind of see them as a dead end
project -- as, I hope I never actually need to use one.

A good, skeptical article about tool steels in swordmaking, is here.

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/ama...rd_grades.html