Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5688 Ignoramus5688 is offline

Default Cry, Gunner, it is OK to cry now

On 2010-02-12, John wrote:

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.as...=262&c=techart

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.as...=263&c=techart

All machining is fun, only some is more fun than others.

With good tooling and a stiff machine cutting A2 and D2 is not a big
problem. I machine them quite often with no big problems. Heat treating
A2 is very straight forward. D2 is a little more critical so you need a
good calibrated oven.

Here is a very interesting book on making tools as well as a bunch of
other stuff.

http://www.archive.org/details/cyclo...engi01ameriala

Thanks. I will read this encyclopedia, looks like great reading, 438
pages of good stuff.

Iggy, if you are looking to sell any of that tool steel I would be
interested in buying some if you have the sizes I use.

Most definitely, I will keep maybe 30 lbs of it, but no need for
more. I will keep essentially all 4140 though. Let me know what sizes
you are looking for.

I will start getting this stuff out of the truck tonight. My approach
is to give rec.crafts.metalworking readers a substantial discount
compared to ebay.