Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default heat exchangers

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:11:24 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
Alas, neither cite fits the bill. One is a marine
water-to-water unit, it appears; the other URL is a
paper on engine heat. Neither is useful on a 2 cyl.
aircooled generator.

Original VW beetle heat exchangers maybe. I don't know the details from
having one, although I know some people that have, but they used exhaust
heat exchangers to heat the cabin air. IIRC the only problem was when
the heat exchangers became perforated and started passing exhaust into
the cabin air.

To the best of my knowledge, the VW heating system directed engine
cooling air into the cabin, and very little of it at that.

They were exhaust heat exchangers, Gerry, as Dave Billington mentioned.
Living in Michigan when I had my '64 VW, I became intimately familiar with
them. g

They had insufficient output, especially for the windshield defroster. By
the time the air got up there is was barely warm and the flow rate was
feeble. The original equipment just bled a bit of cooling air from the
high-pressure area under the sheet metal cooling shroud.

The cure was one or two blower-boosters that we usually bought from J.C.
Whitney. You could get one for each side. They worked like a charm.

--
Ed Huntress

In 1963
they started installing a gasoline fired heater which I found totally
unreliable although the latter models were somewhat improved.
On the other hand, an "after market" accessory for the model "A" Ford
was a cast iron shroud around the manifold ducted to a butterfly valve
through the firewall into the area of the front seat passenger's
knees.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada