Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default heat exchangers

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:11:24 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
Alas, neither cite fits the bill. One is a marine
water-to-water unit, it appears; the other URL is a
paper on engine heat. Neither is useful on a 2 cyl.
aircooled generator.

Original VW beetle heat exchangers maybe. I don't know the details from
having one, although I know some people that have, but they used exhaust
heat exchangers to heat the cabin air. IIRC the only problem was when
the heat exchangers became perforated and started passing exhaust into
the cabin air.

To the best of my knowledge, the VW heating system directed engine
cooling air into the cabin, and very little of it at that. In 1963
they started installing a gasoline fired heater which I found totally
unreliable although the latter models were somewhat improved.
On the other hand, an "after market" accessory for the model "A" Ford
was a cast iron shroud around the manifold ducted to a butterfly valve
through the firewall into the area of the front seat passenger's
knees.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada