Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

On Feb 11, 8:49*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:

In any case it was just to illustrate a point. I wondered if the "flange"
thing would severely limit me in the choice of attachments. For a start I do
not know what quality the chucks offered with this machine are and it would
be nice to have the option to go with another manufacturer for replacements.
Furthermore, the 4-jaw chuck available for this machine is only 5" which is
a bit small. Does this mean one would have to manufacture a whole adapter
for a bigger chuck? One has to believe that there are adapters available for
this type of spindle commercially somewhere, but without further details how
does one go looking for them?
Meanwhile I got a response from the dealer and here it is:

"We do not have exact dimentions of the spindle flange, but it is 5" in
diameter and is machined to fit behind the chuck which comes with the lathe.
the holes are approximately 3.723" apart. One side of the adaptor is
machined in a similar design as the back of the 3 jaw chuck and the other
side is machined to accept the 4 jaw chuck. Since you want to use a
different chuck we suggest you wait until you acquire the lathe and *the
chuck then machine the adaptor accordingly. "

I am not sure what to make of it.

Michael Koblic,

You can make a better adapter plate than you can buy because you can
fit it as carefully as you want to the exact sizes of the spindle
flange and chuck back recess.

If you measured the diameters of the spindle flanges on the production
line I suspect you'd see them increase continuously as the tool wore,
then jump back to the minimum when it was replaced. An adapter plate
to fit them would have to be at the large end of the tolerance in
order to fit all lathes, and a sloppy fit on most, while you can make
one exactly the right size for yours.

Look at lathe chucks in the MSC catalog and you'll see separate back
plates for the common mounting styles. You fit the plate to the
spindle, then shape it into a flange that fits snugly into the recess
on the back of the chuck.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...84923&PMT4NO=0

jsw