Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Funny snow blower problem...

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

Always the carburetion, it seems.

Last snow, a month or so ago, ran fine, a Sears "6.0 hp" ditty.
Today, it would run for only 10 sec, and would have to constantly be
re-primed and started. Choke is OK, full gas. Once in a blue moon
it would run for a minute, but not under load.

I could actually sort of see the primed gas spill out of the carb,
which would apparently fuel the engine for a while. Seems that the
running engine couldn't draw it's own gas.

Many of these small engine carbs have a built in fuel pump which
consists of a diaphram that is driven by the pressure variations
(pulses) in the intake manifold.

If that diaphram is cracked or there's a vacuum leak in that system,
it won't pump its own gas. It will appear to run when primed, but that
won't last long.

A carb rebuild kit should have the parts to remedy this problem.

Yeah, there is a linkage that kind of pulses as the load changes. Off the
carb, I can't quite see what it is linked to, tho, but I'll find out.

I can see a lot of small parts covering my workbench in my future....

I'm ackshooly perty terrified of carburetors... I feel the angst
building.....
--
EA