Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Scary Sharp Strop

On 2/11/2010 4:03 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
I don't use the "scary sharp" (sandpaper) method (I use a Makita water
grinder with 1000 grit stone for shaping, and a Norton 1000/4000 water
stone for honing), but I definitely get my tools FRIGHTENLY sharp

(I knew "frightenly" didn't look right; that should have been FRIGHTENINGLY)

Also, I forgot to mention that when I use the Norton water stone (I rarely use
the 1000 side) it's all done by hand with no jigs. I can't count the number of
fancy sharpening jigs I've used over the years, but once you get the knack of
honing by hand you don't need any of 'em. I also have a couple of diamond
stones I use for various things, but not really to sharpen my chisels or plane
blades (card scrapers, mostly); I mention them here because they are what I use
to re-flatten my water stones, and they work great for that.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.