Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dixie Drifter Dixie Drifter is offline

Default Atlas Copco Compresser

I wont actually have the inverters here till this weekend but I know that
they will run this compresser because both the compresser and inverter are
the same as used on service trucks in the army. I got this from a guy who
had 2 of each of the compressers and inverters, he used one compresser
hooked to mains power because he has 3 phase. I got a good deal on both
inverters and the compresser I bought. I was told these inverters would
retail for over 1500 dollars apiece. I'm not sure of the specs till Friday
or Saturday but I'll post as soon as I know more.
"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Dixie Drifter wrote:

OK I know the inverters I have will run this compresser because they are
used togather on military service trucks. I was just wondering if the
loss
of going from AC to 24VDC back to 2203 phase AC will be more than the
loss
of letting a rotary converter run an idle motor. I had actually thought
about using a 24VDC alternator off a semi truck running from a 5 hp 220
motor with a
couple deep cycle batteries inline to the inverter.

Unfortunately, you are at the point where there is a big jump in VFD
cost. A 3HP/2.2kW 220 single phase to 220 three phase inverter can be
had new for $250, but the same thing in 5HP/3.75kW is $600.

You could probably ebay those inverters you have for enough funds to buy
the proper VFD. What are the actual specs on the inverters?