Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Roof leak - Mold

wrote:
Tony wrote:
I had a couple shingles fly off in a windstorm, then it snowed. The
slow thaw was perfect for leaking into the attic. I didn't find it
until I smelled something, then found the guest bedroom closet ceiling
almost completely green with mold.

I took most of the things out of the closet, sprayed the ceiling with
full strength clorox, and left a small electric heater in there.
Fixed the roof, then gained access through the gable end sheathing.
Pulled out all the wet insulation I could find/reach, (the insulation
was blown in, gray looking, and a little on the itchy side. I don't
know what it is?). Had a few nice weather days so I screwed some wire
lathe over the gable end hole to keep birds and critters out, but
allowed it to air out some more.

Before bad weather came again I laid down 3 1/2" fiberglass with no
vapor barrier just to give it a little insulation and still
ventilation and closed up the hole (for now) The closet ceiling has
been dry and up to about 100F+ for a week and only a few dark spots
show were there was a lot more mold. Also up in the attic had some
mold but was out of clorox and bad weather coming.

So finally here is the question, If I go in the top again and spray it
with clorox, let it dry, and insulate will I be OK, or will I always
have mold spores there just waiting for some moisture? And should I
remove the drywall in the closet so I can clean and clorox things
better and replace the drywall, or will it be OK with the dry chlorine
left from the evaporated clorox ready to kill any mold if it gets damp?

First, read up on mold and avoid the panic messages. Mold spores are
everywhere there is air....they don't start growing unless they find
adequate moisture and food.

I would be inclined to replace the damaged drywall and would do the rest
of the work when weather is warm and dry. Once wet, it is not as sound.
And be careful with the dang electric heater....keep room warm and air
circulating.

Oh, forgot to mention the ceiling has a weird finish. Not popcorn. It
looks like they took a rectangular trowel with lots of mud, pushed it up
flat on the ceiling then pulled it straight down. The ceiling is full
of little "stalactites". Anyone know what I mean? Does my method sound
right?

It was sagging but I had it propped up while drying and is staying up
much better than I had thought. It had sagged across the span of 3
joists, it let loose in the center joist. From up top looks like it was
only glued to the joist and the glue let loose. If I don't replace it,
since it's in a closet, I was thinking of 2 or 3 screws with fender
washers and splash some white on that. But then again, if I ever have
to repair this finish out where it shows, the closet ceiling would be a
good place to practice! I think maybe I'll screw it up (that doesn't
sound right) and when the weather is nice decide whether to tear it out
then since I will never be able to reach all of the insulation from up
top, part of it has to be insulated from below. I'll be able to fix it
right if I have access from the bottom and the top at the same time.

I guess I'm answering some of my own questions but I do appreciate the
opinions and especially not freaking out about the mold!