Posted to alt.home.repair

Default toilet installation question....

On Feb 11, 11:53*am, "
wrote:
I have a question . I am installing (or will be) a toilet. Now when
they design these things, is the toilet flange pretty well level with
the floor ( in other words countersunk)? I made allowances for mine
since there will be a roughly 1/4 - 5/8" tile on the floor to make it
almost level. I was wondering if it is designed to be above or below
the floor level - Obviously I could compensate by either a thicker or
thinner toilet seal, but prefer to have it right in the first place.
Follow what I am getting at?

Should I tile around the flange to make it level, or should I be
tiling UNDER it to raise it up?

I prefer to tile all the way under the toilet AND under the flange on
the floor. Usually yoyu can remove the screws that hold the flange
down and lift it up enough to get tile under it. If you have tile and
backer board and can't get it under the flange they make "extenders"
that will raise the flange. Sort of a new flange on top of the
original flange. I don;'t like the add a bunch of extra wax to try to
seal it solution.