Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Roof leak - Mold

Tony wrote:
I had a couple shingles fly off in a windstorm, then it snowed. The
slow thaw was perfect for leaking into the attic. I didn't find it
until I smelled something, then found the guest bedroom closet ceiling
almost completely green with mold.

I took most of the things out of the closet, sprayed the ceiling with
full strength clorox, and left a small electric heater in there. Fixed
the roof, then gained access through the gable end sheathing. Pulled
out all the wet insulation I could find/reach, (the insulation was
blown in, gray looking, and a little on the itchy side. I don't know
what it is?). Had a few nice weather days so I screwed some wire lathe
over the gable end hole to keep birds and critters out, but allowed it
to air out some more.

Before bad weather came again I laid down 3 1/2" fiberglass with no
vapor barrier just to give it a little insulation and still ventilation
and closed up the hole (for now) The closet ceiling has been dry and up
to about 100F+ for a week and only a few dark spots show were there was
a lot more mold. Also up in the attic had some mold but was out of
clorox and bad weather coming.

So finally here is the question, If I go in the top again and spray it
with clorox, let it dry, and insulate will I be OK, or will I always
have mold spores there just waiting for some moisture? And should I
remove the drywall in the closet so I can clean and clorox things better
and replace the drywall, or will it be OK with the dry chlorine left
from the evaporated clorox ready to kill any mold if it gets damp?

First, read up on mold and avoid the panic messages. Mold spores are
everywhere there is air....they don't start growing unless they find
adequate moisture and food.

I would be inclined to replace the damaged drywall and would do the rest
of the work when weather is warm and dry. Once wet, it is not as sound.
And be careful with the dang electric heater....keep room warm and air
circulating.