Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default ? on high-pressure sodium lights

Does the "starter" continue to function once the lamp is going, or does it
"drop out"? Just wondering. I fixed my MIL's light by replacing the
defective coil being driven by the SIDAC NTE6419, but wife is worried that
I'm going to burn her mom's house down. I put a larger coil in, and it is
brighter than it was, so she is worried that it will overheat and catch
fire. I tell her not to worry cause if it overheats the SIDAC will fail,
shutting the whole system down. But if the "starter" (labeled "ignitor")
only comes on for a few seconds to get the lamp going, that would be better
than ever.

Thanks for any feedback,

Dave