Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Fluorescent bulb types...

Awl --

I have a basic understanding of how these tubes work (iirc, they operate off
the Franck-Hertz ionization), except for the single pin 8' jobbies, that you
don't have to twist to install -- really neat.

I thought tubes needed a filament at each end, to get the thing started?
Hard to have a filament with just one terminal, no?

Do these types compensate with a higher starting voltage, and thus don't
need filaments?

In bulbs with filaments, once the whole bulb is lit up, those filaments are
cold, right?

I have only seen single pin in 8' bulbs. Why is this?

Someone posted an inneresting link on all-that-is-fluorescent not too long
ago. I looked at that link, very nice, but I didn't see this topic.

--
EA