Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

They can be generic, but very unusual. When I bought my 10" SB new from SB in '81, it did not come installed. This is no simple
task. In the end, I got it right, but it was truly a pain. If you do not get the taper attachment as factory, you will be faced
with a whole series of mods for the carriage, which are not trivial. Secondly, after using the taper attachment on the SB 10
without a differential crossfeed screw and using the SB 13 x 40 SB with a differential crossfeed, there is no comparison. Give me
the differential variety any day, as it allows the user to dial in cuts with the crossfeed AND the compound in a conventional
manner. Without the differential crossfeed, only the compound can be used as the cross feed is disabled, which is not convenient.
Using the taper attachment on my big 18 x 54 Lodge & Shipley is even easier. It is also factory installed.When you need one, there
is no substitute. I would not own a lathe without one.
Steve

"Existential Angst" wrote in message ...
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message ...
Michael,
I would advise against this machine. It really is not big enough, heavy enough and has serious other restrictions, like the
number of threads, no taper attachment and perhaps other tooling, which is usually included in a used machine. For pretty much
the same size footprint, you should be able to locate a 13 x 40 machine in a tooled condition. You may have to spring for more
money upfront, but you will save money over time. I have 3 lathes and all have a taper attachment. I would never be without
one., especially if it is your only one. It should be capable of 40 different threads and have a set of change gears for
cutting metric threads. Ideally, you should look for D-4 Camlock spindle with an integral MT5 Taper because of spindle through
hole size and tooling availability.

You will be tempted to buy others, don't. Be patient, get it right the first time.
Steve

Good advice, except I don't think taper attachments are so common. My buddy, who goes thru quite a few lathes, hasn't seen a
taper attachment in a decade or two.

Are taper attachments wedded to a given lathe, or can they be generic, like a toolpost?
--
EA

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message ...
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite useless. One of the questions I had was how is the
chuck attached to the spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further details have not been forthcoming
so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories
(5C collet chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI
spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC