Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Michael,
I would advise against this machine. It really is not big enough, heavy
enough and has serious other restrictions, like the number of threads, no
taper attachment and perhaps other tooling, which is usually included in a
used machine. For pretty much the same size footprint, you should be able
to locate a 13 x 40 machine in a tooled condition. You may have to spring
for more money upfront, but you will save money over time. I have 3 lathes
and all have a taper attachment. I would never be without one., especially
if it is your only one. It should be capable of 40 different threads and
have a set of change gears for cutting metric threads. Ideally, you should
look for D-4 Camlock spindle with an integral MT5 Taper because of spindle
through hole size and tooling availability.

You will be tempted to buy others, don't. Be patient, get it right the
first time.
Steve

Good advice, except I don't think taper attachments are so common. My
buddy, who goes thru quite a few lathes, hasn't seen a taper attachment in a
decade or two.

Are taper attachments wedded to a given lathe, or can they be generic, like
a toolpost?
--
EA

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This here looks a rather attractive machine particularly as it is on
sale:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

Trying to find out more about it I looked at the manual but it is quite
useless. One of the questions I had was how is the chuck attached to the
spindle. The dealer tells me that there is a "flange" but any further
details have not been forthcoming so far.

Are there any standards that would describe such flange attachment? Are
there standard sizes? I am concerned about accessories (5C collet
chuck??). This machine is BTW only superficially similar to the Grizzly
G0602 which I understand has a 1-3/4 - 8TPI spindle.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC