Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Running refrigerator off generator questions

On Feb 10, 10:59*am, "Mike S." wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:46*pm, Peter wrote:

On 2/9/2010 5:20 PM, Mike S. wrote: If a refrigerator requires a 15 or 20 amp power supply, then wouldn't
a 13 amp, 14 gauge heavy duty power cord be insufficient to connect
the refrigerator to a generator? Also, wouldn't using two heavy duty
power cords be bad? I don't know anything about amps or gauges, but my
father who does connected the refrigerator to a power strip (a defunct
surge protector), then plugged the power strip into the 14 gauge, 13
amp power cord. He then plugged that power cord into another power
cord of unknown gauge and amps, and that plugged into the generator. I
thought the refrigerator sounded odd during the time it was running
off the generator, but it was hard to tell.

I suspect my power will go out again from this snow storm that's
coming so I would at least like to be using the correct power cords
this time.

Look at the power cord itself on the fridge. *If it is a 14 or 16 gauge cord,
you'll probably be OK if it is a short run. *However, if it is a long run,
you'll have enough resistance in the 14 gauge cord to cause a serious voltage
drop that might overheat the fridge motor, or damage the electronics inside.
Maybe you could try to borrow a 12 gauge extension cord from a neighbor..

Actually, you might not have need for a fridge. *If you have an attached garage,
you might be able to use it as a fridge and put your frozen stuff out directly
on the snow pack (assuming you have a private yard).

I'm in in DC metro area and we're keeping our fingers crossed power
problems. *We don't even have a generator, but so far, so good.

The plate in the refrigerator says 6.5 amps under full load (or
something like that). The generator is over 100 ft away, so the 14
gauge power cord is 100 ft long and the other power cord was probably
between 25 to 50 ft long, possibly more. But I'm almost positive the
refrigerator sounded strange while running it off the generator, which
I believe is at least 20 years old, if that matters.

My power was out for nearly 3 days from the last storm. It went out on
Friday the 5th at night and came back on Monday afternoon. I live in a
rural area that uses wells and septic tanks, so when we don't have
electricity, we also don't have running water. I hope the power
doesn't go out again from this current storm. I don't mind shoveling
tons of snow but I can't stand not having running water and a 42
degrees house.- Hide quoted text -

3600 rpm is 120v is 60hz on small generators, if volts or Hz was off
it might sound different, 100ft is a long distance and there is
voltage drop, I dont know how much so google it, I will guess its 2-3
volts. You need a volt meter, amp meter, Kill a watt, or techometer to
be sure when the frige is running you have 3600- 120v -60hz. The
govenor usualy has a set screw at a place designed to be easily found
to adjust to 3600. Depending on the unit at no load idle 124-126 is a
normal set point so when its loaded down it doesnt go to low, 115 is
about as low as you should go at full load, its easy to check and
adjust.