Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Cooper pipe bending limits

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
Stepfann King wrote in
:

Zootal wrote in
. 97.131:

So I'm installing 1/2 and 3/4 copper water pipe, city water, ~60psi.
Question - how much can you safely bend the pipe without risk of future
failure?

247 degrees.

What radius?

Let me say that I do not know. I cannot give you a definite answer, but the
variables a diameter of the tubing; copper alloy you want to bend; if
you fill the copper with sand or not; if you pressurize it or not;
temperature of the copper; type of bender; whether it is a plain one die
bender or one with a mandrel (two piece); how fast you make the bend; and a
couple of other things.

I'd Google and get some copper suppliers and people who really do this a
lot, and use their answers.

For most home repair apps, a simple bender is better than no bender. But
the technique will affect the results greatly.

Lastly, how critical of an application is this? IIRC, you did say it was
for 60 # water line. Make your radii as big as you can, even if it means
adjusting elsewhere for the bend. If you just really have to have a tight
90, buy a compression fitting or sweat a 90 on there.

Get some scrap and play with it. Realize the scrap may not have the same
properties as new, but it will give you an idea about the failure points.
I'd do it in a warm room, and not a cold garage, or outside in the snow.
Use a heat lamp or similar to warm the copper before bending.

HTH

Steve