Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Technique for replacing 6L6/5881 o/p valve tubes

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Or ignoring the scratch marks made on the base , and push in with 4
fingers
on the base, after all it is only cosmetic damage.

'Stubborn' ones get helped out of their sockets with a small flat bladed
screwdriver between the valve and socket. New ones are fitted with a
standard yellow cloth duster on the top and palm pressure. I don't let the
scratch marks from the retainer claws bother me ...

I can't recall ever having had one break on me in the way you describe.

Arfa

I don't remember seeing these sort of central pips before (on that end),
either domed or flattish.
Next time I will have a couple of strips of PTFE looped around the dragon's
teeth and push in with 4 fingers around the base. Then releive each spring
in turn to retreive the PTFE. If that does not work then have to make up
some sort of spring compressor or let them goiuge away.
It's just that years ago I came across an amp that the owner loved rotating
the bottles about and the bakelite was a real mess, barely functional