Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Tile Question - Part II

Kate wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Kate wrote in
:

WW wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I posted here about a month ago installing tile in one of my
bathrooms.

The professional guy was here today. He has done a lot of work
for me in the past, but I need some opinions please.

He said my linoleum is in excellent condition and they would leave
it, and put hardibacker on top of that. He guarantees his work,
and in 30 years says he has never had a problem with tile cracking
due to not removing existing linoleum.

This is a tiny bathroom that measures appx. 8' x 4'.

Does this sound like a good way to go about the project?

Many thanks in advance.

Kate

Is he going to tile under the toilet? If so will need a taller wax
ring seal ww

Yes he is. I never thought about a taller wax ring seal, but he
should know about that. I thought I had all my bases covered. I
will be certain to ask him.

Appreciate your help.
Thank you!

Sounds like he's giving you a decent job with using hardibacker and
tiling UNDER the toilet. A hack corner cutter might trim tile close
to the base then caulk. It looks ****tier and if the toilet developed
a leak it would destroy the floor before you knew it.

Just curious, did he itemize the work? If so, what did he add for
pulling and reinstalling the toilet? Where are you located?

I am supposed to get a bid tomorrow. I live in Washington State.

He did say it would cost $120 to pull up the old linoleum. I am going
to leave it in.

I am going
to leave it in.

Absolutely since hardibacker is going over it. It should be screwed in
using screws specifically for the backer. They will not snap and the
underside of the heads are designed to properly countersink.