Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Auto Battery Connection Repair?

Twayne wrote:
Hi,

A "friend" managed to strip the bolt-hole for the positive cable
connection. Now it'll no longer tighten sufficiently to allow a
firm/reliable connection.

Is there any reasonable and permanent way to fix/correct this?

I"ve tried putting some galv. steel wire into the thread area but it
either does no good or makes it too hard to seat the bolt far enough to
create surface to surface pressure of the cable to the battery.
Using solder instead I seem to have created a sufficiently tight
connection to maintain the connection; for now, anyway. Since solder has
no "memory" it's sooner or later going to let the connection loosen
again; probably sooner in our changeable weather.

Anyone have a better fix? The battery is almost new or I'd just buy
another one but it costs an arm and a leg.

Easy. Just use a self tapping bolt the next size larger.