Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Tile Question - Part II

hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 9, 6:16 pm, Kate wrote:
I posted here about a month ago installing tile in one of my bathrooms.

The professional guy was here today. He has done a lot of work for me
in the past, but I need some opinions please.

He said my linoleum is in excellent condition and they would leave it,
and put hardibacker on top of that. He guarantees his work, and in 30
years says he has never had a problem with tile cracking due to not
removing existing linoleum.

This is a tiny bathroom that measures appx. 8' x 4'.

Does this sound like a good way to go about the project?

Many thanks in advance.

Kate

The only thing I would worry about is the slightly reduced ceiling
height due to the thicker floor, and any door height mismatch where
the bathroom floor meets a bedroom of hallway. Putting hardibacker on
top of the existing flooring should be just fine.

We did discuss the area where the tile meets the carpet leading into the
bedroom. He would put a slight raise of 5/8 inches underneath the
carpet so that everything is level. He said I won't notice it when
walking on it, and it will be fine to the eye.

If the door is too low, they will saw off the bottom a bit. I had to do
this when I installed new carpet a few years ago.

Thanks for your feedback.