Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Running refrigerator off generator questions

"Mike S." wrote in message
If a refrigerator requires a 15 or 20 amp power supply, then wouldn't
a 13 amp, 14 gauge heavy duty power cord be insufficient to connect
the refrigerator to a generator? Also, wouldn't using two heavy duty
power cords be bad? I don't know anything about amps or gauges, but my
father who does connected the refrigerator to a power strip (a defunct
surge protector), then plugged the power strip into the 14 gauge, 13
amp power cord. He then plugged that power cord into another power
cord of unknown gauge and amps, and that plugged into the generator. I
thought the refrigerator sounded odd during the time it was running
off the generator, but it was hard to tell.

I suspect my power will go out again from this snow storm that's
coming so I would at least like to be using the correct power cords
this time.

The cord being adequate has more to do with it's length, then it's gauge. If
it's a standard fridge, it probably draws about 7 amps and should run fine
on a 14/3 X 50 foot cord