Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_7_] Zootal[_7_] is offline

Default Plastic (cpvc) versus copper

JIMMIE wrote in
:

On Feb 9, 2:23*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:55*am, HerHusband wrote:

However, plastic pipe of any kind is not very good at resisting
physica

stresses, like yanking on a tight valve, or dropping a book on an
expos

ed
pipe.

I'll gladly hit PEX with a hammer and it won't affect it unless I try
to crush it entirely. *Lesser blows would destroy any other piping,
metal or plastic, before the PEX showed lasting damage.

PEX has a plastic memory - it returns to shape. *No other plumbing
material that I'm aware of has that. *It's what makes it so much more
freeze-proof than other piping.

Ive had a temporary PEX line freeze several times this winter. Its
about a 30ft line running out to the kennel that I set up just before
the first freeze. I didnt get a chance to bury it and it looks like it
may be a couple of more months before I do.

Jimmie

I think the only thing I don't like about PEX is the connector process. PEX
may last 100 years, but the connectors won't. And even if they did, they
are horribly expensive.

Does anyone here make their own connectors? How much does it cost to do so?
Buying them individually is ridiculous, and is why I stuck with copper
yesterday.