Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Visit to the dark side.. I bought a set of tv trays..

On Feb 9, 1:56*pm, Evodawg wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:31 pm, Evodawg wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:11 am, Evodawg wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:29:26 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 2/7/10 4:20 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
That is what happened to the Computer desk that I spent a year
designing. I wanted something to take the computer, printer, and
all
of
the associated items. I had got to the point where I had I
arranged exactly as I wanted it.

We went down to the local Lowes and there it was for about half

of
the cost of wood that I needed to build mine.

Like walking through an Ikea, the fastfood hamburger of

woodworking.

Yabbut, no self-respecting wooddorker would EVER purchase anything
made of McWood from Ikea, Sauder, or the others.

Having taken a critical eye into the local Etherized Allen store,

see that they're not any better than Sauder. That $3,500 Queen

Anne
piece with the sticky drawers, one of which made so much noise,

the
entire storeful of shoppers turned to look at me (as I exclaimed
"$3,500?" in disbelief), was a real treat. I can't imagine how any
store manager could leave the thing that way. A bit of beeswax or
paraffin would have made it feel worth more than a Sauder QD

piece.
shrug

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.

Not to mention you CAN'T get a piece of furniture made in the US
anymore
unless it's custom made or bought from a specialized shop.

Everything
sold in the retail furniture stores is made in CHINA.

Nonsense.

Ok, ask any interior decorator if she can get furniture made in the US
and she will tell you NO! If they visit the Furniture Conventions in

the
Southeast all but a few pieces are made in CHINA. I have personal
experience in this subject..... Good luck finding anything not made
there.

1) Just a quick Google:http://www.americansworking.com/furniture.html

All specialized furniture. Web based retail. Which I qualified in prior
post

*Tweet* Time out to move goal posts. Yes, I'll concede that Walmart
doesn't carry US made furniture.

2) We bought our dining room and bedroom from he
* *The show room:http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/

* *Specifically

http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/catalog/content/productcollection/... * * *- and -

http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/c...uctcollection/...

* *(both in Cherry)

Another specialized shop. Not a chain Located only in Ohio. Could you tell
me where I could find Green Acres in California? You made my point.

Among dozens of stores as large as any furniture store around here.
Ohio isn't the only place where there are such stores.

3) We just bought a sofa, made in Michigan.
* *http://www.la-z-boy.com/Cares/Americ...WT.ac=sidemenu

Wow one large manufacture of Sofa left in the US. I'm impressed.Glad to
see they still exist. Really, I hope they stay here!!!

You did say *NONE*. You admit to the lie?

You certainly need a better home decorator if she's that out of touch
with her industry.

If you look above I qualified my post and you confirmed it. All large
chain retail stores,(I'm not talking Walmart either).Thomasville, Ethan
Allen, Mathis Brothers, and the like do not carry any furniture made in
US. Most all Manufactures of Furniture at Conventions in the Southeast are
China born and built. Although it's getting better only because of the
internet and Web based outlets.

"Most all" none

btw this designer has been in the business for 40 years and seen the
industry destroyed by China. She will not buy anything made there and off
it on her clients and she finds it harder and harder to get. Only now buys
pieces made custom. As far as being out of touch, she's been on the cover
of Architectural Digest 3 times. The Premier Magazine of Professional
Designers.

No, the industry was "destroyed" by economics. People can't (or more
precisely, don't want to) afford custom made furniture.

Home designer don't make me laugh!

Well, one of you is clueless.