Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Any reason

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Is there any reason why the gantry has to move on a CNC router? Seems to me
you could get a lot more rigidity by moving the table along one horizontal
axis instead. Then just move your Z axis assembly along the gantry for the
other horizontal axis, but have the gantry solidly bolted to your table
base. I realize it will take up more room when working this way, but that's
no different than a mill.

Just thinking out loud.

We had a Asi Accucell that worked that way. It was a waterjet cutting system (non
abrasive).

http://archive.dovebid.com/brochure/bro998.pdf

I'm shocked that dovebid has this auction pdf still up.

Page 3 shows a 2 axis motion system that drove an injection head between both presses. I
built that many years ago in house.

Page 5 shows a Accucell with two y,z,a,b heads. They should not have put them on the same
framework. I always wanted to cut it in half to keep motion from one side affecting the
other side. Accell/decell effects tended to show up randomly in each sides work.

The Fanuc robot based assembly and waterjeting systems I built are not shown. GM managed
to buy them for a price less than the cost of the light curtains on them before the
auction.

Wes