Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Dishwasher pumps out, but no internal circulation/washing

On Feb 9, 8:16*am, Usenet wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
My son-in-law just called me and said their dishwasher is acting up.
It is a GE "Quiet Power 3", about 3 years old. * It will fill, go thru
the washing cycle without any noise from the pump, and then pump out
the water at the appropriate time. *So it seems that the pump is ok,
just not getting electricity for the wash cycle. *I believe there are
two schemes for dishwashers, in one the pump reverses direction to
internally circulate/wash or to pump out. *In the other, the pump runs
the same direction, just a valve directs the water to circulate/wash
or to pump out. *I will be going down to their house tonight, with a
voltmeter to check if the pump is getting power, but was hoping
someone here would know which type of circulate/drain the GE
dishwashers use, and if there is a most likely type of failure for
which GE dishwashers are known. *I believe the "timer" is electronic
rather than mechanical. *I prefer the mechanical, they are much easier
to trouble-shoot, so that means it is probably electronic.

* * *I have just fixed my (Turkish made) Beko dishwasher: the pump was
not receiving power to circulate, so the wash-cycle was stuck. *My own
dishwasher has a main circulation pump and a separate drain pump. *The
problem in my case was nothing to do with the dishwasher per se -- the
inlet faucet had become very clogged up and reduced the pressure to a
trickle.

* * *However, in fixing the problem, I discovered that their are many
downloadable service manuals available for Bosch, GE, etc. *I could not
find a Beko service manual, so they were extremely useful for getting a
feel for fixing my own Beko. *I'm saying it's well worth the effort,
searching on the web for a GE dishwasher service manual. *Also, in the
US, there's an intriguing looking book "Cheap & Easy Dishwasher Repair"
by Douglas Emley. *Could be worth taking a look at a Douglas Emley book
(fixing appliances) in a bookshop and seeing if he's as good as the
cover promises.

Best wishes,

Sandy- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the steering.