Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Second Floor Laundry Room

On Feb 9, 12:07*pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:06*am, Deano wrote:

Hi, * I have purchased an 1890 vintage house in Cincinnati and would
like to put in a "laundry closet" in an eave on the second floor. *I
could use some suggestions about building a good floor liner in case
of leaks. *I don't think that a drain is practical, *but I'd like
something larger than a rubber pan that the washer sits in. *Space is
approximately 72" by 48';" *I have to build the wall out a little as
the roof is slanted inside. *Thanks! * *Deano

You have had good advice, but its a laundry room, tap into the drain
you will use for the machine and add a floor drain under the machines,
thats what a laundry room needs, ive had water from overfilled tubs,
repairs and carelessness, it goes down a drain.

Sometimes it's difficult to tap into the drain in this situation.
Drains need to have a trap in them to prevent gas from getting back
into the house. Often washer drains are installed with that trap in
the wall behind the washer. The floor drain needs to connect above
the trap. So the trap would have to be lower than the floor. That
may or may not be difficult to do. A safety drain can't have it's own
trap because it would dry out. So a lot depends on what the options
for plumbing the new location are.

If it's possible to get a floor drain connected above the trap that
would be fine. Otherwise a straight pipe going out an exterior wall
will do as well.