Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Second Floor Laundry Room

wrote:
On Feb 9, 8:06 am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:33 am, LouB wrote:

Deano wrote:
Hi, I have purchased an 1890 vintage house in Cincinnati and would
like to put in a "laundry closet" in an eave on the second floor. I
could use some suggestions about building a good floor liner in
case of leaks. I don't think that a drain is practical, but I'd
like something larger than a rubber pan that the washer sits in.
Space is approximately 72" by 48';" I have to build the wall out a
little as the roof is slanted inside. Thanks! Deano

Use steel hoses for the washer and reduce chances for a catastrophe.
Why is a drain not practical since you also need a drain for the
washer?

Agreed. No "pan" solution is going to solve your problem. The washer
holds more than you can possibly catch in a pan that is not connected
to a drain. I talked to a guy that had the solenoid water valve in
the washer fail on a 2nd story washer. The water just keep flowing
until it overflowed the washer tub. It was in a lake house so it ran
for 4 days before anyone found it.

A pan solution won't solve the worse case scenario, but it could
prevent less serious leaks from doing damage. But I agree that
trying to do something with the floor isn't likely to yield additional
protection in line with the work involved, unless it includes a drain.

There are several other options too:

1 - There are automatic electric shut-off valves available. They
only turn on the water when the machine is running, ie drawing
power. The washer plugs into the widget, the widget plugs into the
outlet and it then senses when the washer is running. They will
protect against a burst hose when the machine is not being used.

2 - Floodsafe hoses. These are designed to close if the hose bursts,
ie they allow water at some pre-determined rate, but will close if the
volume exceeds that. Never tried one and one concern I'd have is if
they provide enough water flow when the machine is spinning and
injecting bursts of water at the start of the rinse cycle. At least
that's how my older top-loader works.

3 - Water alarms that you can set by the washer, in the pan, etc. $10
at HD.

Also quarter-turn valves for the water supply. You turn it on to wash, turn
it off when done.