Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Visit to the dark side.. I bought a set of tv trays..

wrote in message
On Feb 9, 12:31 pm, Evodawg wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:11 am, Evodawg wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:29:26 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 2/7/10 4:20 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
That is what happened to the Computer desk that I spent
a year
designing. I wanted something to take the computer,
printer, and

all
of
the associated items. I had got to the point where I had
I arranged
exactly as I wanted it.

We went down to the local Lowes and there it was for
about half of
the cost of wood that I needed to build mine.

Like walking through an Ikea, the fastfood hamburger of
woodworking.

Yabbut, no self-respecting wooddorker would EVER purchase
anything
made of McWood from Ikea, Sauder, or the others.

Having taken a critical eye into the local Etherized Allen
store, I
see that they're not any better than Sauder. That $3,500
Queen Anne
piece with the sticky drawers, one of which made so much
noise, the
entire storeful of shoppers turned to look at me (as I
exclaimed
"$3,500?" in disbelief), was a real treat. I can't imagine
how any
store manager could leave the thing that way. A bit of
beeswax or
paraffin would have made it feel worth more than a Sauder
QD piece.
shrug

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.

Not to mention you CAN'T get a piece of furniture made in
the US

anymore
unless it's custom made or bought from a specialized shop.
Everything
sold in the retail furniture stores is made in CHINA.

Nonsense.

Ok, ask any interior decorator if she can get furniture made in
the US and
she will tell you NO! If they visit the Furniture Conventions
in the
Southeast all but a few pieces are made in CHINA. I have
personal
experience in this subject..... Good luck finding anything not
made there.

1) Just a quick Google:
http://www.americansworking.com/furniture.html

2) We bought our dining room and bedroom from he
The show room: http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/

Specifically

http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/c...collection=117
- and -

http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/c...collection=118
(both in Cherry)

3) We just bought a sofa, made in Michigan.
http://www.la-z-boy.com/Cares/Americ...WT.ac=sidemenu

You certainly need a better home decorator if she's that out of
touch
with her industry.

Take a look at my comments. The furniture you cite is probably
very good and has a classic design. However, it's all machine
made and I don't see any real hand work like carving or detailing.
http://shopncfurniture.com/showfurniture.cfm?id=1

FWIW, I also am first to recognize that different folk prefer
different lines in furniture and that what impresses me doesn't
impress others, necessarily. The furniture you cite is very nice.
What a little research showed me was that the NC names in
furniture were doing the design work for the upper end things,
then shipping the work off to China.

Another thing I find sad was that when we lived in NC and the
Internet was just getting off to a big start, most of the NC
furniture makers and wholesalers boycotted it quite viciously.
Many companies told their distributors and retailers that they'd
pull their franchise if they were found to be selling over the
Internet. They insisted, as many still do today, that their
product only be sold in stores. The Highpoint and other Furniture
Marts, which meet biannually, are just for the wholesalers and
buyers: customers are not welcome. I understand this, but wonder
if that business model will be able to continue into the future.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.