Posted to rec.woodworking
Evodawg Evodawg is offline

Default Visit to the dark side.. I bought a set of tv trays..

wrote:

On Feb 9, 10:11 am, Evodawg wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:29:26 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 2/7/10 4:20 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
That is what happened to the Computer desk that I spent a year
designing. I wanted something to take the computer, printer, and

all
of
the associated items. I had got to the point where I had I arranged
exactly as I wanted it.

We went down to the local Lowes and there it was for about half of
the cost of wood that I needed to build mine.

Like walking through an Ikea, the fastfood hamburger of woodworking.

Yabbut, no self-respecting wooddorker would EVER purchase anything
made of McWood from Ikea, Sauder, or the others.

Having taken a critical eye into the local Etherized Allen store, I
see that they're not any better than Sauder. That $3,500 Queen Anne
piece with the sticky drawers, one of which made so much noise, the
entire storeful of shoppers turned to look at me (as I exclaimed
"$3,500?" in disbelief), was a real treat. I can't imagine how any
store manager could leave the thing that way. A bit of beeswax or
paraffin would have made it feel worth more than a Sauder QD piece.
shrug

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.

Not to mention you CAN'T get a piece of furniture made in the US

anymore
unless it's custom made or bought from a specialized shop. Everything
sold in the retail furniture stores is made in CHINA.

Nonsense.

Ok, ask any interior decorator if she can get furniture made in the US and
she will tell you NO! If they visit the Furniture Conventions in the
Southeast all but a few pieces are made in CHINA. I have personal
experience in this subject..... Good luck finding anything not made there.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !