Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Moisture on outside walls

terry wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:01 am, Tony wrote:
woods wrote:
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the
wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is
cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there, or no
insulation, or both? This doesn't show up anywhere else in the
house. She does run a humidifier on furnace at 25%.

Hi,
Sounds like a poor insulation/vapor barrier or air leakage.
RH setting depends on outside temp.

The condensation is most likely warm house air vapour condensing on
the first cold surface it reaches. Which could be a painted cold
surface, cold window etc. cool water pipes, poorly insulated outside
door etc.

Sounds like a lack of insulation in that wall? Something wrong
somewhere. Read up on insulation and vapour barriers, in order to talk
knowledgeably with contractors/inspectors etc.

Insulation should have vapour barrier on it 'warm side' unless, say,
it's the type of foam that provides it's own vapour barrier. Th reason
being to prevent warm and therfore inherently more moist house air
from permeating into the wall, condensing in there and soaking the
wall and any insulation.

Hi,
As a one time expensie, one can have a energy audio done for the whole
house and owner will know exactly what to do to make the house air
tight. My house was built per R-2000 spec. Cost little more but it is
warm in winter, cool in summer. I save on energy cost by the substantial
amount.