Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Forming wire mesh cloth - how to compress a cylindrical shape?

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:07:21 +0800, the infamous "Royston Vasey"
scrawled the following:

I'm forming some wire mesh cloth - that part is going ok.

The finished part needs to be compressed to fit into a pvc part - working it
in by hand results in scratching and marking of the pvc. I'm looking for
some ideas on how to compress the mesh part so it slips cleanly into the pvc
part. There's a few pics in the dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/wire_screen.pdf

Think "tampons", Royston. vbg How about a teflon sleeve with an OD
the size of the ID of the PVC to help guide the screen in?

Or a pair of spring steel guides on sticks, curved tongs if you will.

Questions: Do you later "inflate" the cup back to full inside
diameter? What do you use to secure it to the PVC? And, last but not
least, whatever are these used for?

Another thought: If you were to compress the cup closer to final
diameter, it might be easier to work with. It appears to have lots of
gaps between the folds and OD.

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.