Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic (cpvc) versus copper

On Feb 8, 3:41*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 8, 11:46*am, Zootal wrote:

jamesgangnc wrote :

On Feb 8, 2:22*pm, Zootal wrote:
Was the pipe in an outside wall and did it break due to freezing
temps? If so, copper can also break when water freezes in them.

It was in an inside wall. It broke because a book fell off of the
back of the toilet and hit the pipe where it came through the wall.

I certainly would not go thorugh the process of replacing a bunch of
cpvc because a piece was damaged from impact. *Sounds like you have
too much time on your hands. *How about coming over to my house and
I'll give you some better chores. haha, nothin personal :-)

I have to take the wall apart anyhow. If I'm going to all that trouble, I
might as well repalce the plastic while I'm in there.

What I'm mostly curious about is how often plastic actually breaks? I
personally think using plastic in places where it comes through the wall
for a shower head or valve is not a good idea - those are subject to stress
and in my uneducated opinion, they should be copper. Nice and strong metal.

And it's the plastic running through the basement that I'm most concerned
about. I'd hate to hit one with a 2x4 by accident and have it break. My
wood working area has pipes running along the ceiling directly above.

I have been following the CPVC/PEX/COPPER/GALV discussions sing the
days of DEJA news. *Don't ever recall any mentions of CPVC haveing a
problem with failures. *My redo in this old house was finished 20
years ago, all is CPVC and I haven't had a failure yet (knock on
wood).

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Yea I used to do copper but the cpvc is way easier to do. I hated
doing copper in the crawl of our 2 story house. It was such a pain to
get the water out so I could solder. Seemed like everytime I starte
dto heat it up here would come just a little more water.