Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default "Oland", "Schmoland" One "Inserted Bit" tool is as good as another.

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:36:13 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Please forgive my long, boring and predictable "anti-eponym rant" that
you older members remember and expect.

I don't remember inserting tool bits into a CRS bar held in turned
wooden handles then, but I remember as long ago as the late 30's using
engine lathe tool holders with variously ground bits free hand (not in
the tool post) for turning wooden guitar and violin string tightening
keys and keg spigots on a beat up old South Bend. I suspect that many of
you machinist-woodturners have used inserted bits for turning wood for
years and didn't know you were using an "Oland tool". Not that there is
anything wrong with that and I'm sure Mr. Oland was a fine man and
accomplished woodturner, but he wasn't the first to insert tool bits for
turning wood.

OK, I am showing my petty prejudices (aka prejudgment) about naming
tools, techniques and turned forms and their embellishments for a
person. Eponyms may include fewer words, but are often more confusing
than indicative and more promotion than invention. Certainly less
descriptive. Except of course, for the "Arch Tool", the "Arch cut" and
the "Arch paint & puncture creation" I have to admit it's much easier
to recognize my (in)famous work by eponym than by "dull scraper", "big
catch" and "garish abomination."

BTW, I see that full length tool bits inserted into small aluminum
handles are being advertized as Sorby's "micro hollowing tools" No
eponyms for them yet, but sure to come, even if they aren't anything
new.

There, I've said it again! What me, a cynic?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

If they're using full size bits in that little holder, the Sorby might end up
being called "Aluminum handle that breaks when used"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing